Periodically, new versions of UberMenu Icons will be released. These may include bug fixes or enhancements, and you may or may not wish to upgrade.
Installing updates just involves replacing the old plugin files with the new ones. It’s always a good idea to back everything up before you upgrade, especially if you have made any changes to UberMenu Icons’ files, as the upgrade will overwrite all files. UberMenu Icons settings set through the control panel will all remain intact.
How to get updates
To download the updated plugin zip, go to your CodeCanyon Downloads page and re-download the file. This will always give you the latest version of the UberMenu Icons plugin.
Now is a great time to rate the plugin 5 stars if you haven’t already. Giving 5 star ratings helps me keep pushing out feature and maintenance release updates. Thanks so much!
- It is always a good idea to back up your plugin before making any changes
- Open your FTP program and FTP into your site and navigate to the
- Download the
ubermenu-iconsfolder and save it as a backup
- If you have edited any files, you should back up these files (though you should never edit files within the plugin).
If you want an auto-backup plugin, you might want to check out WordPress Backup to Dropbox
Special update instructions
Sometimes, a release will require special update instructions due to a significant code change. If you are upgrading from version X to version Y which match the special instructions listed below, be sure to follow the extra steps in those instructions. Otherwise, follow the normal update instructions.
Normal update instructions
- Download the new version of the plugin from CodeCanyon (the latest version can always be found on your CodeCanyon Downloads page.
- In your browser, log into the WordPress control panel.
- Navigate to Plugins
- Deactivate UberMenu Icons (optional, but generally a good idea, especially if you are deleting the old version in step 6)
- Switch to your FTP program, FTP into your site and navigate to the
- After backing up, delete UberMenu Icons (the entire
ubermenu-iconsfolder). Strictly speaking, this is optional, but makes the upload process more straightforward. You can also overwrite the old files if you prefer. (Please check for version-specific upgrade instructions; sometimes a deletion is strongly recommended)
- On your desktop, decompress the zip file you downloaded from CodeCanyon
- Open the unzipped folder, which will contain a new
- FTP the new
ubermenu-iconsfolder into the
wp-content/pluginsdirectory on your server.
- Ensure that your permissions are set properly on the
plugins/ubermenu-iconsdirectory. If your server can’t read the files, you might run into errors. This can happen depending on how your FTP account is set up.
- Switch back to your browser and go back to the Plugins panel
- Reactivate UberMenu Icons by clicking Activate
Note: If you are running a local server, just copy the files rather than FTPing